Prologue: The story of my travels in Thailand

 The 14th century traveller Ibn Batuta said, "Traveling - it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller". This is me, attempting to tell the story of my travel to the '..even more amazing Thailand', learning about its history and culture, and in the process, perhaps something more about myself. 

2023 has not been kind to me. I lost my beloved mother after prolonged illness. I am grieving her loss while also trying to care for and support my father, who is also grieving, having  lost his companion of 63 years. I'm sick and tired of hospitals and speaking to doctors only induces anxiety and stress. My husband tries his best to support me, but often gets his head bitten off (poor lovely man!) as I try to juggle a job, my care responsibilities and the loss of my mother. What I really need is mental and emotional time out. 

At least in that respect, 2023 has sucked a smidge less, because I got an opportunity to travel to Thailand for a few days on official work. I combined this with a few days off time and returned home refreshed, more composed and feeling able to get on with my life. 

So the story of my travels in Thailand took me to the Maeklong Railway Market, the Damnoen Saduak floating market and the historic city of Ayutthaya. These are very popular spots where tourists throng by the thousands. What was unique for me is that I travelled solo. 

Women are often uncomfortable about traveling alone. Maybe it has to do with safety concerns or discomfort with having curious gazes focused on them. What I discovered is that these are fleeting issues. That once you get your head around it and focus on enjoying yourself and the places you've chosen to visit, it becomes a pleasurable pursuit. No scratch that - it becomes an empowering pursuit. You discard your everyday worries, tap into your reserves of courage....perhaps discover a facet that makes up the kaleidoscope that is you...meet a new you.  And in that there is that elusive thing...your agency. 

This entry was posted in ,. Bookmark the permalink.